woensdag 11 augustus 2010

August 11, 2010, Day 0

I have signed-up for the 21-Day-Meditation-Challenge that is offered by the Chopra Center. The challenge will begin tomorrow, and I have decided to keep a blog about these 21 days. Why? Keep reading.

Every day, for 21 days, I will receive a meditation and instructions in my e-mail. Every day, for 21 days, I will meditate in accordance with these instructions, knowing that hundreds, maybe thousands, of people will be doing the same thing. Why is this called a challenge? And, more importantly, why am I doing this?

I am a lawyer, yoga teacher and Reconnective Healing/ Reconnection Practitioner. I am good at what I do, but let me be very honest here: I am not good at meditating. I am speaking from experience. Unless it is a guided meditation where I can let my imagination go wild, my mind is making too much noise to really enjoy just sitting still and do nothing, let alone experience any silence. Since I do not give up easily, I try to meditate every day, or at least several times a week. Sometimes for only 5 minutes, sometimes for 20 when the music I put on is really nice. But my thoughts are always so LOUD! I thought I could use some help.

The left part of my brain tells me that I should do this meditation challenge, because scientific research has shown time and again that meditating is very good for you. I want to be good. And since it is a challenge, maybe I will win something too. The teacher in me says that I am not a real yogini, if I am not able to meditate and have a quiet mind. The right part of my brain thinks that everything will be better when I can experience silence within.


So this is why I have signed-up. I want to win. I want to win that silence within. Luckily, I do not need to compete with anyone else but myself. I guess the whole challenge is to sit down and meditate, every day, for 21 days, and fight the battle with my blaring thoughts. We'll see who wins. I am ready. Let the challenge begin.

Stay tuned.
Marije

1 opmerking:

  1. I'm with you in spirit, dear friend. love- virginia ps i hope i'm doing this correctly since it is in Dutch

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen